Few conversations about "classic" rafting holidays go much further than talking about the Grand Canyon. This is one of the worlds' best trips, not just for the 226 miles of rafting, but also for the side hikes up canyons and to ancient Indian ruins. For those of you who have seen the Grand Canyon from the rim, that in itself is a stunning experience, set amidst gorgeous granite and marble walls, we camp on spectacular beaches with just the sound of the Colorado River in the background to send us to sleep. We visit ancient Indian ruins high above the Grand Canyon river and view the scenic beauty of this canyon. We run the rapids that Major John Powell ran in this gorge in the late 1800's in wooden dories. Similar boats are still in use in the Grand Canyon! We are amazed at the cleanliness of the campsites and absolute beauty of this area... There is frequently a two year waiting list for a commercial trip and up to 12 years for a private trip. We are so happy to have this departure and very much hope you will be able to join us...
We'll transfer you from Las Vegas to Flagstaff. Enjoy small town America.
No meals included
Early breakfast and drive to Lees Ferry you will be outfitted with the remainder of your equipment, given a full and comprehensive safety talk as well as paddle instructions.
Included: All meals
Day 3 - 14
Every day on the canyon brings something different. Whether it is visiting the incredible “Redwall Cavern” or hiking up to the Anasazi Indian ruins, the vistas you will have on your trip are unforgettable. The hikes on this trip are broken up by world-class rapids such as Hermit, Crystal and Lava Falls. On top of these big rapids, this river trip abounds with 226 miles of wavetrains and fun filled rafting sections. As we’ll be taking paddle rafts with stern assist (the guide will sit on the back of your raft with oars) you’ll actively participate in your navigating some of the best whitewater in the world.
Our knowledgeable guides will give you the best possible practical Geology lesson on the earth’s history as well as checking out fossils that are hundreds of thousands of years old. Every evening we’ll pull into a suitable spectacular white sandy beach for an incredible feast of steaks, fish, chicken and salads along with the customary beer or glass of wine to discuss your day in depth. This is living. Many people never get to sample the beauty of the Grand Canyon from within…. For those of you who have seen it from the rim, that in itself is a stunning experience, set amidst gorgeous granite and marble walls, we sleep on beaches with just the river in the background to send us to sleep. We visit ancient Indian ruins high above the river and view the scenic beauty of this canyon. We run the rapids and see where Major John Powell ran this gorge in the late 1800’s in wooden dories. Similar boats are still in use in the Canyon today!
There is ample time to adjust to river life during the trip. You wont need watches, cellphones or to worry about anything. This trip offers 100% relaxation.
We have no “fixed” itinerary for this trip, preferring instead to set ourselves up for hikes and ruins that we can do as a group. This adaptability allows us to remain on our own and away from other groups that may be in the canyon at the same time to us.
All meals included days three - fourteen.
We finish off our journey at Diamond Peak. We take the scenic trip back to Flagstaff and we enjoy a celebration, post trip meal together, sharing stories and adventures from our trip.
Included: Breakfast and Lunch
Depart our hotel for Las Vegas airport and connect to our flight back home!
Our detailed adventure dossiers goes into a full daily itinerary for your chosen destination. They will also give you travel advice, visa and currency information, who might be guiding your trip, plus information on ways to extend your holiday.
Download Detailed Itinerary
Dates & Prices
Flights To Las Vegas, Nevada
Although the trip starts and finishes in FLAGSTAFF, AZ, you best option is to fly into Las Vegas. Here you can hire a car and drive to Flagstaff or we can arrange a transfer for you. In order to give you increased flexibility for your holiday please call our UK or US office's for advice on who to book your flights with. Alternatively, why not use your frequent flyer miles for your adventure? There are many options for your flight to Las Vegas with Virgin, BA, United Airlines or BMI. We also suggest checking on Travel Supermarket for good deals. Alternatively give Trailfinders a call on 0113 246 2200. Please ensure you DO NOT book your flights until your trip is CONFIRMED.
We have price and departure information about the following trips in USA (river prices only - flights not included).
Rafting and Kayaking - The Grand Canyon
What You Should Bring
We find most of our clients have in their posession already what is needed for a river journey. We have broken down here the items into what you'll need on the river and in camp. An equipment list of what you will require for your adventure will be sent to you prior to your departure.
- A pair of Chacos or similar sandals. Trainers are also okay.
- A pair of River shorts or swimming costume.
- Long sleeved business shirt to wear under your life jacket in hot destinations.
- A baseball cap for under the helmet to keep sun off.
- Wide brimmed sunhat.
- Chums for fastening your sunglasses to your head.
- Nalgene or similar water bottle.
- Carabiner for fastening water bottle to your boat.
- Thermal Top for cooler destinations. Medium weight - Heavyweight Capilene or polypropylene is the best.
- Waterproof sunscreen and lip balm SPF15 minimum.
For evenings and around camp
- Lightweight long trousers.
- Lightweight Long Sleeved shirt.
- Fleece jacket.
- Ladies should bring a long skirt or sarong to cover your legs whilst in the company of locals.
- Glasses or Contact lenses. Disposable lenses are ideal.
- Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, biodegradable soap and shampoo.
- Forget the cosmetics and hair dryer! But we do suggest moisturizer.
- Hand wipes
- A 3-season sleeping bag.
- Travel Pillow.
- Small pack towel.
- Headlamp or head torch and spare batteries.
- Shoes or boots for wearing around camp and on hikes.
- Insect Repellent.
- Any medication you may be taking.
- Your favourite book or a journal for recording your river memories.
- Photographic or video equipment. On most expeditions we provide a waterproof pelicase for these items. We recommend a cleaning kit as sand gets everywhere. Bring a spare memory card or plenty of film. Also bring spare batteries for your camera.
- Waterproof disposable for the "action" on the raft shots.
- Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman.
- An extra bag to bring back a wooden hippo, a carpet, Thanka or anything else you may purchase on your holiday.
- An iPod or other music preferences. We have speakers.
- The only money that you need to bring is for meals in town, souvenirs, DVD, personal items and the beer kitty for the raft trip if you drink. Please remember that many of the countries we visit do offer Credit Card and ATM facilities and for a small charge you can withdraw cash either from your account or Credit Card for convenience.
- If you wish to pass on a gratuity to your guide we leave this entirely up to you.
- Basically, we advise you to keep things as light as possible, without skimping on the necessities. It is great to bring back a load of goodies for everybody back at home.
You do NOT need to bring
- Tents, sleeping mats.