Few conversations about "classic" rafting holidays go much further than talking about the Grand Canyon. This is one of the worlds' best trips, not just for the 226 miles of rafting, but also for the side hikes up canyons and to ancient Indian ruins. For those of you who have seen the Grand Canyon from the rim, that in itself is a stunning experience, set amidst gorgeous granite and marble walls, we camp on spectacular beaches with just the sound of the Colorado River in the background to send us to sleep. We visit ancient Indian ruins high above the Grand Canyon river and view the scenic beauty of this canyon. We run the rapids that Major John Powell ran in this gorge in the late 1800's in wooden dories. Similar boats are still in use in the Grand Canyon! We are amazed at the cleanliness of the campsites and absolute beauty of this area... There is frequently a two year waiting list for a commercial trip and up to 12 years for a private trip. We are so happy to have these departures and very much hope you will be able to join us...
Arrival into Flagstaff. Overnight hotel.
No meals included
We'll transfer you from Flagstaff to Lees Ferry where you'll meet the rest of the crew for the trip. We'll give a full safety and paddle briefing before embarking on our journey.
Included: All meals
Day 3 - 14
Every day on the canyon brings something different. Whether it is visiting the incredible “Redwall Cavern” or hiking up to the Anasazi Indian ruins, the vistas you will have on your trip are unforgettable. The hikes on this trip are broken up by world-class rapids such as Hermit, Crystal and Lava Falls. On top of these big rapids, this river trip abounds with 226 miles of wavetrains and fun filled rafting sections. As we’ll be taking paddle rafts with stern assist (the guide will sit on the back of your raft with oars) you’ll actively participate in your navigating some of the best whitewater in the world.
Our knowledgeable guides will give you the best possible practical Geology lesson on the earth’s history as well as checking out fossils that are hundreds of thousands of years old. Every evening we’ll pull into a suitable spectacular white sandy beach for an incredible feast of steaks, fish, chicken and salads along with the customary beer or glass of wine to discuss your day in depth. This is living. Many people never get to sample the beauty of the Grand Canyon from within…. For those of you who have seen it from the rim, that in itself is a stunning experience, set amidst gorgeous granite and marble walls, we sleep on beaches with just the river in the background to send us to sleep. We visit ancient Indian ruins high above the river and view the scenic beauty of this canyon. We run the rapids and see where Major John Powell ran this gorge in the late 1800’s in wooden dories. Similar boats are still in use in the Canyon today!
There is ample time to adjust to river life during the trip. You wont need watches, cellphones or to worry about anything. This trip offers 100% relaxation.
We have no “fixed” itinerary for this trip, preferring instead to set ourselves up for hikes and ruins that we can do as a group. This adaptability allows us to remain on our own and away from other groups that may be in the canyon at the same time to us.
All meals included days three - fourteen.
We finish off our journey at Diamond Creek. We take the scenic trip back to Flagstaff and we enjoy a celebration, post trip meal together, sharing stories and adventures from our trip.
Included: Breakfast and Lunch
Depart our hotel for Flagstaff airport and connect to our flight back home!
Our detailed adventure dossiers goes into a full daily itinerary for your chosen destination. They will also give you travel advice, visa and currency information, who might be guiding your trip, plus information on ways to extend your holiday.
Download Detailed Itinerary
Dates & Prices
Flights To Flagstaff, Arizona
In order to give you increased flexibility for your holiday please call our UK or US office's for advice on who to book your flights with. Alternatively, why not use your frequent flyer miles for your adventure? There are many options for your flight to Flagstaff (via Phoenix) with Virgin, BA, United Airlines or BMI. We also suggest checking on Travel Supermarket for good deals. Alternatively we have teamed up with GYT who can provide you with a competitive flight quote by filling out this form on the Water By Nature website. Please ensure you DO NOT book your flights until your trip is CONFIRMED.
We have price and departure information about the following trips in USA (river prices only - flights not included).
In order to secure your place you can pay just your deposit now of £750 per person. The remainder isn't due until 160 days before your trip.
Rafting and Kayaking - The Grand Canyon
What You Should Bring
We find most of our clients have in their posession already what is needed for a river journey. We have broken down here the items into what you'll need on the river and in camp. An equipment list of what you will require for your adventure will be sent to you prior to your departure.
- A pair of trainers or Keens that cover your toes and provide grip on wet rocks.
- 2 pair of river shorts (longer leg length) shorts can be purchased from our online Water Shop.
- 2 Swimming costume or bikinis for ladies.
- 2 sets of long sleeved thermal top and bottoms to wear under your personal floatation device. Capilene, Polypropylene or Merino wool is best. (not cotton)
- A rash vest (not cotton) as an alternative to the thermal layer.
- A baseball cap for under the helmet to keep sun off – can be purchased from our online Water Shop.
- Chums for fastening your sunglasses to your head – can be purchased on line.
- 1 Litre Nalgene / Sigg or similar water bottle or Camel-back hydration system.
- Carabiner for fastening water bottle to your boat.
- Waterproof camera such as GoPro for the ‘action’ shots
- Waterproof sunscreen and lip balm SPF30 minimum.
Around Camp and Hiking to the river:
- 2 pairs of warm tracksuit pants or trekking trousers.
- 2 Lightweight tops - long sleeved shirts or t shirts.
- Fleece or wool jumper.
- Light weight down jacket.
- Wide brimmed sun hat.
- Woollen socks
- A 3-season sleeping bag. (Can be hired in advance)
- Travel Pillow.
- Walking shoes.
- Trainers or flipflops for wearing around camp.
- Thermal top and bottoms. (Good to sleep in)
You do not need to bring tents + sleeping mats.
We provide personal floatation jackets and helmets.
- Glasses or Contact lenses. Disposable lenses are ideal.
- Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, biodegradable soap and shampoo.
- Forget the cosmetics and hair dryer! But we do suggest moisturizer.
- Hand wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitiser.
- Small pack towel.
- Insect Repellent.
- Personal first aid kit.
- Headlamp or head torch with spare batteries.
- Small day pack (Without a frame)
- Your favourite book/kindle or a journal for recording your river memories.
- Photographic or video equipment. We recommend a cleaning kit as sand gets everywhere.
- Spare memory card.
- Solar or portable charger.
- Zip lock bags to keep valuables dry and sand free.
- Rehydration tablets (Phizz, Nuun and O.R.S are easily available)
- The only money that you need to bring is for meals in town, souvenirs, personal items, gratuities and the beer kitty for the raft trip if you drink.