Gathering strength from tributaries draining the highest mountains in the world the white water on the Sun Kosi is Biblical, even expedition-size rafts disappear into the vastness of crashing waves and rolling, boiling water. After the monsoon the river is high and wild, and definitely not for the faint-hearted. Whipped, foamy white water where narrow gorges constrict the river's flow, the rapids here are long and powerful. The warm waters of the Sun Kosi surge, snake and wind for 270 km to the east of Nepal. While the lower sections of large volume rivers are usually rather flat, the Sun Kosi reserves some of its biggest and best rapids for the last days. At the right flow it's an incredible combination of white water, scenery, villages, and truly quiet and introspective evenings on huge sandy beaches along what many people consider to be one of the world's 10 classic river journeys.
Other trips similar to this you may be interested in, are our Karnali River trip and our Tamur Adventure.
You'll arrive into Kathmandu, be met by your Water By Nature Expedition Leader and have some time to explore this great city.
Not included: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Explore Kathmandu, the worlds largest outdoor museum. Walk or take a rickshaw around the temples, stupas or shops or take in a coffee and an amazing view of the Himalayas from a terrace coffee shop. We hold our pre departure meeting this evening.
We will be taken to our bus from the hotel my the novel means of transport, rickshaws. We drive to the river taking in stunning views of Everest on a clear day. We give you safety and paddle instructions and start off our 270 km journey.
Included: All meals
Day 4 - 10
Rafting the Sun Kosi at these levels is amazing! We run fantastic rapids such as High Anxiety, Harkapur, and Jaws. It isn’t just the river, we leave roads behind, and travel 270 km, camping on expansive beaches, washing in a gorgeous waterfall, or visiting the many temples dotted along this river.
Included: All meals
The best finish to any river trip we do... Big Dipper! We drive to Biratnagar and fly back to Kathmandu. We have a celebration post trip meal together at one of the many great restaurants on offer.
Included: Breakfast & lunch
After breakfast we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
Our detailed adventure dossiers goes into a full daily itinerary for your chosen destination. They will also give you travel advice, visa and currency information, who might be guiding your trip, plus information on ways to extend your holiday.
Download Detailed Itinerary
Dates & Prices
Flights to Kathmandu, Nepal
In order to give you increased flexibility for your holiday please call our UK or US office's for advice on who to book your flights with. Alternatively, why not use your frequent flyer miles for your adventure. Many airlines offer flights to Kathmandu, such as Qatar Airways in the UK or search TravelSupermarket.com for your best flight options. Alternatively we have teamed up with GYT who can provide you with a competitive flight quote by filling out this form on the Water By Nature website. Please ensure you DO NOT book your flights until your trip is CONFIRMED.
We have price and departure information about the following trips in Nepal (river prices only - flights not included). The dossier includes more information regarding the extension to Chitwan National Park. This can be booked during the online checkout.
In order to secure your place you can pay just your deposit now of £400 per person. The remainder isn't due until 90 days before your trip.
Please note that prices shown in GBP & USD are payable. UK residents should pay in GBP and USA residents should pay in USD.
Rafting - Sun Kosi River
What You Should Bring
We find most of our clients have in their posession already what is needed for a river rafting journey. We have broken down here the items into what you'll need on the river and in camp. We also suggest you take a quick look at the video on How To Pack A Dry Bag. An equipment list of what you will require for your adventure will be sent to you prior to your departure along with a Water By Nature Travel Bag.
- A pair of Chacos / Keens or similar sandals. (Sandals with a closed toe are ideal)
- 2 pairs of river shorts (longer leg length) shorts can be purchased from our online Water Shop.
- 2 Swimming costume or bikinis for ladies.
- Long sleeved thermal top and bottoms to wear under your floatation device. Capilene, Polypropylene or Merino wool is best. (not cotton)
- A rash vest (not cotton) as an alternative to the thermal layer.
- A baseball cap for under the helmet to keep sun off – can be purchased from our online Water Shop.
- Chums for fastening your sunglasses to your head – can be purchased on line or from your river crew.
- 1 Litre Nalgene / Sigg or similar water bottle.
- Carabiner for fastening water bottle to your boat.
- Waterproof camera such as GoPro for the ‘action’ shots
- Waterproof sunscreen and lip balm SPF30 minimum.
- 2 Lightweight long trousers, zip off legs are ideal.
- 2 Lightweight tops - long sleeved shirts or t shirts.
- T-shirt and shorts.
- 2 Fleece jumper s/ sweatshirts.
- Light weight down jacket.
- Rain jacket.
- Sarong. (Great for covering up when visiting temples)
- Wide brimmed sun hat.
- A 4-season sleeping bag. (Can be hired in advance)
- Travel Pillow.
- Flip flops or shoes for wearing around camp.
- Thermal top and bottoms. (Good to sleep in)
You do not need to bring tents + sleeping mats.
We provide personal flotation jackets, spray jackets and helmets.
- Glasses or Contact lenses. Disposable lenses are ideal.
- Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, biodegradable soap and shampoo.
- Forget the cosmetics and hair dryer! But we do suggest moisturizer.
- Hand wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitiser.
- Small pack towel.
- Headlamp or head torch with spare batteries.
- Any medication you may be taking and your anti malarial tablets if required.
- Blister plasters.
- Your favourite book/kindle or a journal for recording your river memories.
- Photographic or video equipment. We recommend a cleaning kit as sand gets everywhere.
- Spare memory card.
- Solar or portable charger.
- Zip lock bags to keep valuables dry and sand free.
- Rehydration tablets (Phizz, Nuun and O.R.S are easily available)
- The only money that you need to bring is for meals in town, souvenirs, DVD, personal items, gratuities and the beer kitty for the raft trip if you drink.