Gathering strength from tributaries draining the highest mountains in the world the white water on the Sun Kosi is Biblical, even expedition-size rafts disappear into the vastness of crashing waves and rolling, boiling water. After the monsoon the river is high and wild, and definitely not for the faint-hearted. Whipped, foamy white water where narrow gorges constrict the river's flow, the rapids here are long and powerful. The warm waters of the Sun Kosi surge, snake and wind for 270 km to the east of Nepal. While the lower sections of large volume rivers are usually rather flat, the Sun Kosi reserves some of its biggest and best rapids for the last days. At the right flow it's an incredible combination of white water, scenery, villages, and truly quiet and introspective evenings on huge sandy beaches along what many people consider to be one of the world's 10 classic river journeys.
You'll arrive into Kathmandu, be met by your Water By Nature Expedition Leader and have some time to explore this great city.
Not included: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Explore Kathmandu, the worlds largest outdoor museum. Walk or take a rickshaw around the temples, stupas or shops or take in a coffee and an amazing view of the Himalayas from a terrace coffee shop. We hold our pre departure meeting this evening.
We will be taken to our bus from the hotel my the novel means of transport, rickshaws. We drive to the river taking in stunning views of Everest on a clear day. We give you safety and paddle instructions and start off our 270 km journey.
Included: All meals
Day 4 - 10
Rafting the Sun Kosi at these levels is amazing! We run fantastic rapids such as High Anxiety, Harkapur, and Jaws. It isn’t just the river, we leave roads behind, and travel 270 km, camping on expansive beaches, washing in a gorgeous waterfall, or visiting the many temples dotted along this river.
Included: All meals
The best finish to any river trip we do... Big Dipper! We drive to Biratnagar and fly back to Kathmandu. We have a celebration post trip meal together at one of the many great restaurants on offer.
Included: Breakfast & lunch
After breakfast we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
Our detailed adventure dossiers goes into a full daily itinerary for your chosen destination. They will also give you travel advice, visa and currency information, who might be guiding your trip, plus information on ways to extend your holiday.
Download Detailed Itinerary
Dates & Prices
Flights to Kathmandu, Nepal
In order to give you increased flexibility for your holiday please call our UK or US office's for advice on who to book your flights with. Alternatively, why not use your frequent flyer miles for your adventure. Many airlines offer flights to Kathmandu, such as Qatar Airways in the UK or search TravelSupermarket.com for your best flight options. Please ensure you DO NOT book your flights until your trip is CONFIRMED.
We have price and departure information about the following trips in Nepal (river prices only - flights not included).
Rafting - Sun Kosi River
What You Should Bring
We find most of our clients have in their posession already what is needed for a river rafting journey. We have broken down here the items into what you'll need on the river and in camp. We also suggest you take a quick look at the video on How To Pack A Dry Bag. An equipment list of what you will require for your adventure will be sent to you prior to your departure along with a Water By Nature Travel Bag.
- A pair of Chacos or similar sandals..
- 2 pairs of River shorts * or swimming costume.
- Thermal Top for cooler destinations. Medium weight - Heavyweight Capilene or
- polypropylene is the best.
- Thermal trousers for cooler days
- A baseball cap for under the helmet to keep sun off *
- Wide brimmed sunhat *
- Chums for fastening your sunglasses to your head *
- Nalgene or similar water bottle *
- Carabiner for fastening water bottle to your boat *
- Waterproof camera such as GoPro for the "action" on the raft shots.
- Waterproof sunscreen and lip balm SPF15 minimum.
For evenings and around camp
- Lightweight long trousers & long sleeved shirt.
- T-shirts and extra shorts
- Fleece jacket and warm trousers
- Ladies should bring a long skirt or sarong to cover your legs whilst in the company of locals.
- Underwear and socks
- Glasses or Contact lenses. Disposable lenses are ideal.
- Toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, biodegradable soap and shampoo.
- Forget the cosmetics and hair dryer! But we do suggest moisturiser
- Hand wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitiser.
- A 3-season sleeping bag- this can be hired in Kathmandu for very little cost
- Travel Pillow.
- Small pack towel.
- Headlamp or head torch and spare batteries.
- Shoes or boots for wearing around camp and on hikes.
- Any medication you may be taking.
- Your favourite book or a journal for recording your river memories.
- Photographic or video equipment. We recommend a cleaning kit as sand gets everywhere.
- Bring a spare memory card or plenty of film.
- Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman.
- An iPod or other music preferences. We have speakers.
- The only money that you need to bring is for meals in town, souvenirs, DVD, personal items, gratuities and the beer kitty for the raft trip if you drink.
- The only money that you need to bring is for meals in town, souvenirs, DVD, personal items and the beer kitty for the raft trip if you drink. Please remember that many of the countries we visit do offer Credit Card and ATM facilities and for a small charge you can withdraw cash either from your account or Credit Card for convenience.
- If you wish to pass on a gratuity to your guide we leave this entirely up to you.
- Basically, we advise you to keep things as light as possible, without skimping on the necessities. It is great to bring back a load of goodies for everybody back at home.